First things first: if you are interested in doing the WHOLE30 or adopting a paleo lifestyle, you will need to become best friends with sweet potatoes. I seriously eat them everyday, and in everything! I add them to my morning hashes, I incorporate them into salads, I turn them into snacks and I even use them as a centerpiece in my dinners. They keep my meals interesting and satisfying, and a baked sweet potato pairs well with almost any protein and vegetable for an easy well-rounded meal.
With that being said, our Monday night dinner (Day 4 of my WHOLE30) this week was Turkey-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with a side of Grilled Zucchini. Every day I am more amazed at how delicious food can taste when you simplify and focus on whole foods in their natural state, without added sugar, grains or dairy.
1-2 pounds high quality, free-range ground turkey // I cook up 2 pounds so I have leftovers for next day's lunch!
1 large onion, diced
Your favorite taco seasoning // Be sure it is WHOLE30 compliant or make your own
1 medium to large sweet potato per person, cleaned and scored across the top
Side of your favorite vegetable (preferably green!)
1-2 TBSP coconut oil
S+P to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees // On a foil-covered pizza stone or baking sheet, place scored sweet potatoes and bake until tender throughout, approximately 30-60 minutes depending on size
2. With 15-20 minutes left, sauté diced onion in large pan or dutch oven in coconut oil; add S+P
3. Once translucent, add ground turkey and cook through, breaking it up and adding S+P as it cooks
4. Once cooked through, add taco seasoning of choice
5. Prepare vegetable by steaming, baking or grilling
6. Remove baked sweet potatoes from oven, cut open vertically and use knife to separate sides to allow room for filling
7. Stuff baked sweet potatoes with turkey & onion filling until slightly overflowing
8. Season as needed & enjoy!