One of our favorite salads -- and the one my husband requests most often -- is so easy and so delicious. Inspired by a salad we ate years ago at Outback steakhouse, we've put our own spin on it to make it just the way we like it. Side note: We pretty much put our own spin on everything. That's what makes cooking & eating so much fun. So this my friends, is our "outback."
The outback salad pairs crisp, hearty romaine with tender shredded carrots and sliced green onions that offer just the right amount of 'bite' you crave when eating a salad. With rich blue cheese crumbles running through it and topped with cinnamon sugar pecans, this salad is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. It's so good you won't even realize there's no meat. Top with garlic croutons and you'll wish you could eat this 7 nights a week!
1 Head of Romaine, washed & chopped
1/2-1 cup shredded carrots, depending on preference
3-4 green onions, sliced thinly
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar almonds
1/2 cup high quality blue cheese crumbles
Your favorite blue cheese dressing or blue cheese vinaigrette
Freshly ground pepper
Your favorite croutons // We get ours straight from Outback!
1. Prepare all vegetables and lettuce // be sure lettuce is dry before adding other ingredients and dressing
2. Mix carrots, green onions, blue cheese crumbles and cinnamon sugar almonds with lettuce
3. Coat lightly in your favorite dressing // I like straight up traditional blue cheese and my husband likes blue cheese vinaigrette (of course)
4. Top with freshly ground black pepper and your favorite croutons
Bonus if they're cheese & garlic!
5. Savor every perfect bite.